DCVB Picks Up Wins, Kain Makes History

– Ashley Williams (Defiance, OH)

The Defiance volleyball team hosted a tri-match with HCAC opponent Mount Saint Joseph University and non-conference, OAC opponent, Otterbein University on Saturday October 3, 2015. In the Yellow Jackets first conference play they went above and beyond in the action, taking both conference and non-conference wins.

DC (6-14, 1-0 HCAC) first took on Mount St. Joe (7-14, 0-1 HCAC) and defeated them 3-1 (25-21, 22-25, 25-17, 25-18). Defiance was offensively lead by freshman Caitlyn Meyers with 11 kills. Junior Hope Neargarder was second with 9 kills. Junior Ari Mahaffey accounted for a total of 39 assists. Another junior Makayla Dennis finished the offense with having 3 service aces.

On defense for the Yellow Jackets, senior Rebecca Kain recorded 24 digs to put her first on her team and 5 digs away from setting the all-time program record for digs in a career.

In the final match, DCVB played a hard-fought game against Otterbein. The Jackets went back in forth in this competitive match, with rallies from both teams. The end result of this game was sweet victory for the Yellow Jackets that came in a 5-set battle (25-19, 16-25, 26-24, 21-25, 18-16).

Sophomore Meredith Shank had 20 kills to lead the offense for DC. Freshman Marissa Windau was also in double figures with 11 kills. Mahaffey assisted her teammates for a total of 47 times. Kain and Neargarder both lead the team with 3 service aces each.

Kain achieved her record-setting dig in the first set against Otterbein. She ended the match with a total of 33 digs. The senior now holds the record of career digs for DCVB at 1,713. There was three other Defiance players in double figures for digs in this match including Dennis with 24, Mahaffey with 11, and sophomore Jaidyn Patridge added 10.

There was post interview questions asked with three upperclassmen on the team. Kain was asked her thoughts on her recorded breaking moment in which she expressed,

“Going into the day I knew I was close but I did not want to only worry about that because I did not want it affect my playing. My main focus was to get our first conference win of the season. After it happened I was really excited but what made it even better was getting two wins on the day and sharing it with my team.”

Mahaffey changed positions for this year’s season and was asked how she adjusted,

“I was recruited as a setter so that is what I have basically done my whole volleyball career. I came in for preseason freshman year and coach saw that I could hit outside so she moved me there. I switched back to setting because Alicia graduated and we did not have anyone else to set. I like it and I am adjusted back a lot faster than I thought I was going to.”

Neargarder was asked about season and the first conference win.

“Coming off of two good wins, I am looking forward to the rest of conference play. It was fun celebrating our first conference win with the team. Playing harder teams in the beginning our pre-season schedule has really benefited us as a whole and preparing us for the rest of season.”

DC will look to continue their win-streak and conference play on Wednesday, October 7, 2015, as they are on the road at rival Bluffton University. This match is scheduled for a start of 7 p.m.