DC Women Talk Hoops

-Cateyln Fix (Defiance, OH)

Tomorrow, the Defiance Women’s Basketball team is set to start their season going up against powerhouse Hope College at home on Saturday, November 14th with game time starting at 6 p.m. Last season the Yellow Jackets finished 9-16 (overall) and 8-10 in the HCAC. The team is looking to improve their record this year and I spoke with some of our very own Yellow Jackets, Keri Conine, Ashley Williams, and Whitney Schalk to get their thoughts on the upcoming season.

[metaslider id=871]

With the start of their junior year right around the corner, I asked Conine and Williams to share their thoughts and projections for the season. Conine said, “In the past we have had a tendency to start out slow and then really gel together in the middle of the season.”

As the team is preparing to take on Hope College on November 14th, Williams gave me some insight as to what strategies the team plans on using to score. Williams said, “We are working on a lot of inside, outside to open things up for both the guards and posts.” She also said that, “The team will be pressing their opponents more rapidly because of their quickness.”

I also asked Conine to share her feelings about the upcoming game and what her contribution would be. She replied, “I think we are going to play strong and stay with them the entire game.” In regards to her role on the team, Conine said, “It is my job to pick my teammates up when they are having a bad day whether it is on or off the court.”

Williams also noted how important her role as a leader on the team is. She said, “I strive to lead by example.” “Everyone on the team respects one another and has connected both on and off the court.”

This season, the Yellow Jackets also welcomed eight freshmen to their team. Conine said, “I am excited to have them here and I am confident that they will step up to their roles. We are lacking in the post position and some of these girls have stepped up to fill the position for the betterment of the team.”

I also spoke with point guard Whitney Schalk, a sophomore, who was given big shoes to fill as a freshman, about the team’s goals going into Saturday’s game.

Schalk stated that, “As a team, we would like to improve our record from last season.” “We are still a young group and working to utilize all of our strengths.” She also noted that, “Hope is a very well respected team throughout their conference.” “We hope that this game will prepare us for our conference play.”

Even though Schalk is only a sophomore, she too has become a leader for the team. With veterans Conine, Williams, and Schalk leading the way, the Yellow Jackets hope to improve their record and make it into the conference tournament. Their season should be very fun and exciting to watch!