DC Welcomes Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach Gonzalo Vivas

As of January 9th, 2017, Defiance College has a new Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach, Mr. Gonzalo Vivas. And while he’s new to campus, he sure isn’t new to the tennis world. A Huntington University alum with coaching experience at Indiana Tech University, The Defender sat Coach Vivas down for a proper introduction.

Where are you from?

Vivas: I was born in Lima, Peru and that’s when I started playing tennis and then I came to the United States where I went to Huntington University and continued my tennis career. After playing at Huntington I was an assistant coach and I also coached in Fort Wayne with Empowered Sports.

What did you major in while you were at Huntington?

Coach Vivas: I double majored in Business Management and Small Business Management.

Even though you have been here for a short time, what’s your favorite thing about Defiance College so far?

Coach Vivas: The small school atmosphere and the one on one with getting to know my players and the staff and faculty.

What are you most excited about for the men’s tennis season?

Coach Vivas: The growth that we will see as a team. We have been working for three weeks now and lots of changes and how we have grown in the game and as a team.

What’s your favorite part about coaching?

Coach Vivas: The fact that I get to interact with players, not only help them on the court but off the court as well as a mentorship role.

What’s a fun fact about yourself?

Coach Vivas: One of the reasons I applied for this job is because my wife wanted to move closer to Toledo because that is where her family is. My wife and I also have Irish twin girls.

If you see Coach Vivas on campus make sure you introduce yourself and welcome him to Defiance College. And make sure to catch a Men’s Tennis match this spring as they enter their outdoor season!

-Go Jackets-

Written by Sydney Unger