Falling in Love with You

Have you ever found yourself in an unfamiliar spot in life and didn’t quite know how to deal with it? Is this normal or am I the only one going through it?  Recently, I’ve found myself faced with situations and emotions that I’d never had to deal with before and attempting to dive right in was probably not the best idea. After some serious reconsideration, I decided to get my thoughts out the best way I know how (writing) and proceed from there. Here’s what I came up with to guide through life’s uncertainties!

By now, although knowing for quite some time, I’ve finally comprehended the fact that life can and will throw things your way simply to throw you off. Knowing this information, sitting around and waiting to be hit can go hand in hand with diving right in as probably not the best idea. I know, I know. I can see you asking yourself, “How am I supposed to do anything else when I don’t even know what is coming my way?” Well, my good old friend Benjamin Franklin said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” As college students, I feel as if we can all agree that the scariest tests are the ones that you don’t have time to prepare for and the ones that you don’t know what to prepare. Have you ever had that one professor that gave you minimal information regarding the exam, forcing you to be prepared for whatever? Life is very much the same way. With tests challenging your relationships, mental health, finances, etc., it’s important to remember that the main subject is you and the more you know about the subject, the better prepared for the test you’ll be!

“Spend a little time with me, get to know me, and fall in love.” -Nate Hicks

Taking that philosophy and applying it to yourself has such great potential to be life changing! Having boyfriends, girlfriends, and relationships with people in general is amazing and makes life a little easier and I’m sure you realize the amount of work those take to remain healthy. What if you put an equal, if not more, amount of time and effort into yourself? Throughout life, things change, people change, and feelings change too. Another thing that won’t remain the same is you. As a constantly growing individual it’s important to stay up to date with yourself and care for yourself accordingly and everything else will fall into place. Oh, and you just might fall in love.

You are a beautiful creation made differently than literally everyone else on the planet. Knowing that, it’s crucial to understand and accept that everyone is going through something different, experiencing, interacting, and interpreting life differently and you can’t judge yourself (or others) based on your perception of someone else’s life, status, position, beauty, etc. Love yourself!

“Being in love with yourself isn’t always loving everything about yourself, it’s accepting yourself and knowing and understanding what you need to work on to change and grow.” -Tess Homier MSW, LISW-S

When you know yourself, it makes loving yourself, through this bittersweet (maybe more bitter than sweet) and baffling life, so much easier. Give it a try. You’re worth it.

Written by Nate Hicks