Book Review: Where the Crawdads Sing

Where the Crawdads Sing, by Best Selling author Delia Owens, leads readers through Kya Clark’s story of life, love, and coming of age. The story covers the years 1952 to 1970 in Barkley Cove, a quiet fishing village. The book’s continuation of life-changing events keeps readers turning the pages of this book.

“Marsh Girl,” or Kya Clark, spends her time in the Marshes of Barkley Cove, ruling the wild and her family’s rundown, abandoned shack. Living in the marsh, she has avoided going to school and interacting with others. However, she captures the attention of two young men from town with her wild beauty. When a popular town figure ends up dead in the marsh, she is the town’s first suspect. Kya is not what the town thinks she is, though. She learned how to read and write with help from Tate, an older family member’s friend. She paints and collects feathers, shells, and other wares. She keeps detailed records of the birds, shells, mushrooms, and other wildlife that can be found in the marsh.

I could not put this book down; I continued to want to know what was going to happen next. There were so many different things that were thrown the reader’s way, from family drama to failed relationships. I was continuously amazed at the descriptions of the marsh and the beautiful poetry that was found between the pages of this book. There was enough kindness that was shown between some of the characters to open your eyes to what the world could hold if we were all just a little nicer to one another.

Overall, I give this book a 5/5. This book was heartbreaking in a few ways, but it truly kept me engaged and gave me a new outlook on life.