Meet Kris Knight

By: Jessica Reynolds

I would like to introduce you to Kris Knight. He is the Assistant Dean of Campus Wellness as well as the Director of Counseling and Accessibility Services. Kris started teaching at Defiance College in 2013 as an adjunct. He then became a full time staff member in 2015 in the counseling department. When he got the call to teach as an adjunct, he stated that it was out of the blue and unexpected. Prior to working at the college, he worked at a private practice in Toledo. His favorite part about working at DC is the students. He stated that “I love seeing the students grow and see the people that they become over the four years they are at Defiance College.”

Kris obtained his Masters degree in Rehabilitation Counseling from Bowling Green State University. He then received his Licensed Professional Clinical Counseling Supervisor (LPCC-S). Something that he wished he had known prior to starting in his profession is the importance of professional networking. He noted that students can start developing their professional network in college. Something that Kris stated that motivates him in his profession is it is “not about me, it is about the students.” He wants to see all students succeed. One statement that stuck out to me was “If I am not working hard, I am not doing my job for the students.” This statement made by Kris stuck out to me because it really shows how much he cares about his job. 

Kris Knight’s favorite color is green and his biggest fear is snakes. His favorite childhood memory is of camping; he stated during the interview that his family took lots of camping trips when he was younger. Kris’s advice to first year college students is “Use all the resources that are available” and “Do not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.”

Kris Knight’s office can be located in Defiance 201B.