Book Review: The Housemaid

By: Hanna Young

The Housemaid, by USA Today’s Best Selling Author, Frieda McFaddon left me picking my jaw up off the floor when I was done. This book was set in the Winchester family mansion in England. A mansion is the perfect place for a family that needs a housemaid and that is exactly what this book is about. 

Millie Calloway is desperate, she needs a job badly and when she finds a posting by the Winchester’s looking for a maid. She thought she had no chance of getting it. Nina and Andrew live in the mansion with their daughter Cecelia. Nina needs help around the house as well as picking her daughter up from school. After interviewing with Nina, Millie is shown around the house and is offered the job a few days later. Mille starts as soon as possible moving into her room in the attic and making herself comfortable as a live-in housekeeper. This job couldn’t be anymore perfect, that is, until Nina does everything in her power to make it miserable, making horrid messes for her to clean up and even going as far as lying about her daughter’s health. The only thing that makes it bearable is being able to see Andrew, the only seemingly sane one in the house. The more time Millie spends with him though the more that she thinks he would be happier with her. Millie thinks that Nina is trying to make her miserable on purpose, and Andrew is a breath of fresh air compared to her. How could Millie not fall in love? Millie finds out that the door to her room in the attic locks from the outside the hard way after a late night adventure with Andrew. The only thing that the Winchesters don’t know, though, is that Millie has a past of her own.

This book was absolutely crazy, I could not stop thinking about it. There was nothing predictable about it, and I was left in absolute shock. I cannot wait to get my hands on the second book. There are so many things that I liked about it, I don’t even know where I would start.

Overall, I gave this book a 5/5. If I could, it would most definitely be a 6/5 because there are no words to describe how amazing this book really is.